Friday, August 20, 2010

The Enormously, Intimidating, Baby Chick!

Months ago my son called me on my cell phone, prompted by his grandma, to let me know that he had a new responsibility. Now something you need to know is that my mom and son run as thick as thieves! So I listened to the voice mail and immediately called my son. Apparently, his new responsibility was to take care of six baby chicks. I am sure that you’re already understanding that when your toddler has a responsibility, it becomes your responsibility! On this particular day, my son and I needed to give the chicks fresh water. They were being held in a large doggie kennel with holes in it. You should already see that it’s design is going to cause quite a problem. I had just gotten home and hadn’t changed into my casual clothes yet. So I opened the door to get the bowl of water and those tiny chicks ran out of the kennel through the holes! So my kiddo and I gathered up the chicks, tucked them away, and then found out that we were missing one. I called my mom and said, “how are we supposed to change the water without the chicks running out every time?”. The suggestion was to run electrical tape around the base of the inside of the kennel. So I had my son watch the chicks to make sure that they didn’t get out, and I went to get the electrical tape. I returned to the site that was going to become one of my worst nightmares. I opened the door to the kennel, and all of the chicks ran out except for one. For those of you who don’t know, chickens are very messy, and stinky creatures; and there I was knee deep inside this doggie kennel, with nice work clothes on, (including heels), crawling around in their chicken mess, trying desperately to put tape where it needs to go. But the problem was that as I was putting tape in the kennel, this baby chick was walking towards me in somewhat of an attack mode and my heel got caught on the inside at this kennel and I couldn’t escape. I was getting so nervous and so wound up that I screamed at this baby chick saying “AAAHHH you devil chicken get away from MEEE! I CAN’T GET OUT!” My poor son heard me scream and couldn’t come and help me because the sunroom door with toddler protective locks had closed with him on the outside. I heard him shouting at me, “Mama I have the water, I have the water, let me in!!” Finally the heel of my shoe was dislodged, I finished the taping job, and crawled as fast as I could backwards to get out…and yes, the chicks finally got their water. Have you ever felt that stuck before? Have you ever been caught between a rock and a very hard place? You are not alone. I know that when we find ourselves in very dire and desperate circumstances it’s easy to scream, “Jesus! Come! Help MEEEE”. However what we forget sometimes is that he has already given us every tool that we need to navigate through rough waters. All we need to do is stand up in the authority that we have as believers! We can say, “Thank you Lord for giving us the courage that we need to draw from today, to do accomplish things that seem impossible". The Bible says “My God shall supply all of my needs according to his riches in glory”. Is your supply house empty today? Do you need to be filled? Just ask Him to fill you and you will receive it! It’s that easy! He has already given you every supply to accomplish any task that needs to be completed. All that needs to be done is to ask. For you are his very daughter and he takes great delight in you! The Bible also says that his grace is sufficient for you. Girls, it really is true! He is sufficient for you no matter when, no matter where, no matter how ugly a situation might be. He is all you need. Don’t allow the enemy to throw an enormously, intimidating problem, (or baby chick), your way and throw you off your balance. He won’t let you fail if you choose to handle things his way. Amen. I love you all, Dede

No comments: