Wednesday, November 10, 2010

From The Bike To Broken Teeth!

From The Bike To Broken Teeth! Dear Chocoholics, On a hot day in the summer of 1986 I was at the Air Force base pool with my sister. She tried and tried to get me out of the pool but I had to have just a few more minutes. Well, she left because she knew that in our house if you were 15 seconds late, you were still late! When I realized that she had left I panicked, grabbed my stuff, and hopped on my bike to rush home. Unfortunately, in the last 1/3 of my furious ride home, the tiny edge of my towel found itself thrown into the spokes of the wheel...fun huh? Uh, no. My bike flipped upside down and I landed on my face! It's true. After I realized what had happened, I got up and thought, "there's gravel in my mouth." Ok, it wasn't gravel. They were pieces of my graveled up teeth! What was worse was that I couldn't get the stupid towel out from my wheel so I had to drag the bike home and that made me even more late! Once I made it home, I dropped my bike in the front yard and luckily for me, my ENTIRE family was in the front yard...goodee. They saw what had happened to my teeth and almost immediately, my sisters found some Certs breath mints. Not for me. It was so they could suck 'em down to a thin crescent and place it in the front of their mouths like little fangs pretending to be 'yours truly'. I did have a helmet on, I just needed additional protection for my face! Had I been more responsible and followed through with the rules that our home Commander In Chief (Dad) had established, I wouldn't have had this story to tell! As Christians, God is our Commander In Chief! He wants us to be successful in His campaign. Unfortunately, when we follow our own rules, we are essentially telling our Commander that we're better soldiers in His army doing our own thing instead of doing things his way and allowing the victory to become ours. Here are some things that are very important to know. Know to put on the whole armor of God because that's what offers you protection, (Ephesians 6:10-17). Also, use the Fruit of the Holy Spirit as your offensive weaponry, (Galatians 5:22) What is our mission as soldiers in the army of God? To wipe out the enemy and all traces of him. Satan is our enemy. Galatians 5:19-21 Matthew 6:10 May your Kingdom come soon. May your will be done on earth, as it is in Heaven. How is it in Heaven? Is there sin in Heaven? Is there sickness in Heaven? Are there financial needs in Heaven? Are there arguments is Heaven? No way! I want His way of doing things to be made manifest on this earth! So, here are some things for us all to work on: MEMORIZE Offensive Weapons of our kingdom Fruit of the Spirit Galatians 5:22 “But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives; love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!” These are weapons! Draw them from your pack and use them daily! Defensive Weapons of our kingdom Armor of God Ephesians 6:10-17 vs. 14-17 “Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. Put on Salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. I love you all, Dede

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In 1986 you had a bike helmet on. Dede, they weren't even widely available. Very few kids wore bike helmets in 1986.
Wouldn't you have been a grown-up in 1986?

Anonymous said...

actually, according to her "hubby", she would have been 13 in 1986. not defending her, just pointing out that she was clearly a kid, just barely a teenager.